Softgel is also called as Soft gelatin or soft elastic capsules. It consists of one piece hermetically sealed soft shells. It is manufactured by adding a various form of plasticizer, such as polyhydric alcohol or glycerin to gelatin. The plasticizer ingredient makes gelatin elastic in nature. Softgel capsules are available in various shapes such as elliptical, oblong spherical, and many others. It generally contains suspensions, pasty materials, dry powders, or non-aqueous liquids. In softgel capsule the ratio of plasticizer and gelatin ratio is 0.8:1.
The methods used for manufacturing of Softgel capsule are: plate process, rotary die process, reciprocating die process, accogel process, and seamless gelatin capsules. The softgel capsules have wide range of application in pharmaceutical field. Among them few are mentioned are, enteric coated softgel capsules, ophthalmic softgel capsules, chewable softgel capsules, gelatin-free softgel capsules, suckable softgel capsules, and twist-off softgel capsules.
The benefits of softgel gelatin capsules are:
- Easy Digestion: they are easily digested and dissolve within minutes of reaching the stomach
- Increased Bioavailability: aids in increasing the bioavailability of poorly absorbed or poorly soluble nutrients types
- Hermetically Sealed: softgel capsules are hermetically sealed and airtight. This makes them tamper-evident. In addition, sealed the capsule protects the active ingredients present in it from oxygen that tend to become sour, such as flaxseed oil and fish oil
- Consuming the Capsule: Because they have a smooth texture, Softgel capsules are easier to swallow for some people than tablets, caplets and other capsules
Disadvantages of softgel capsules are:
- Requires special manufacturing equipment to manufacturer
- Stability concerns owing to highly water soluble compounds content, and compounds are susceptible to hydrolysis process.
- Limited choices of carriers or excipients compatible with the gelatin.
$ 216,866.9 Mn
- By Type
- By Region
- By Application
$ XXXX Mn
Softgel capsules offer dosage form flexibility:
- Encapsulation of a wide variety of fill formulations
- Wide array of sizes, colors, forms, and shapes,
- Oral, ophthalmic, vaginal administration, and topical formulations
Shifting consumer’s preferences towards dietary supplements in the form of pills to softgel capsules, rapidly growing pharmaceutical and nutraceuticals industries, increasing incidence and prevelance of chronic diseases. The aforementioned are the factors that are increasing the demand for softgel capsule.
The are two type of softgel capsules available such as gelatin softgel capsules and vegetarian softgel capsules. The softgel capsule have applications into pharmaceutical and health supplements sectors. Based on geography, it is segmented across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America and Middle East and Africa regions. The demand for softgel capsules are high in North America, due to well established pharmaceuticals sector, rising adoption of softgel capsule among nutrients supplements consuming customers, and increasing consumer awareness about preventative healthcare. The players operating in Asia Pacific countries have a lucrative opportunity, owing to growing population especially elderly population, developing healthcare infrastructure, and growing awareness about health supplements.
Major players profiled in the report include, Patheon, Soft Gel Technologies, Aenova, Catalent, NBTY, Precaps, IVC, EuroCaps, Strides Arcolab, Capsugel, Ziguang Group, Captek, Yuwang Groupand Guangdong Yichao, Sirio Pharma, Baihe Biotech, Shineway, Donghai Pharm, By-Health, and Amway.